You are using an unsupported browser. Please update your browser to the latest version on or before July 31, 2020.
Home > GC Immigration > PGWP (Post-Graduate Work Permit) and a related SOWP (Spousal Work Permit Application)
PGWP (Post-Graduate Work Permit) and a related SOWP (Spousal Work Permit Application)
print icon

When pursuing a joint application for spouse open work permit end post graduate work permit, it is important to note that a new spouse open work permit application cannot be made while a student is waiting for work permit approval. However, if the students spouse already holds a work permit, they can apply for an extension with the student postgraduate work permit application simultaneously. Alternatively, the student and their partner may submit separate applications if they do so prior to the expiry of their current status.

  1. Review the eligibility criteria in the attached guide, applicants must ensure requirements are met for both the SOWP and the PGWP. To be eligible for the SOWP, the applicant spouse must hold a valid study permit while the applicant must have a valid visitor visa work permit or study permit.


Guide for student PGWP:


Guide for spousal WP:


  1. It is imperative that all required documents are provided including a marriage certificate and study permit of the student. The student should submit their PGWP application within 180 days of completing their program after receiving their final completion letter and final transcript. Proof of employment of the student is also required to be submitted to support the SOWP, including a copy of the job offer and the three most recent pay statements.

Changes effective as of January 30, 2023


  1. Processing times can vary, and it is important to plan accordingly. Applicants should be mindful of the duration of their current permits and seek to submit their applications well in advance of the expiry date.


  1.  Processing fees will also apply refer to the government website for the most accurate application costs.

Fee increases effective as of April 30, 2023


For students that may have complicating factors such as gaps in study or failed subjects it is recommended that they seek the advice of a qualified representative and contact the office off international student immigration advising at ILAC.

Students are encouraged to book an appointment, send help desk ticket, e-mail or drop in if they require guidance on the eligibility requirements and assistance with document preparation. We are here to help!

1 out of 1 found this helpful

scroll to top icon